Monday, January 17, 2011

What Does It Mean To Be Content?


"Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious
 frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's
wise and fatherly disposal in every condition." 


 Jeremiah Burroughs


Today's Bonus

Allow the circumstances that come upon you to humble you, since God gives grace to the humble and will lift you out of those circumstances in His timing, by in a one time determined throwing of those concerns upon God because God cares for you, refusing to allow those circumstances from distracting or dividing your attention from God.

 (I Peter 5:6-7 - literal translation) 

--Gregg Metcalf






**************************************
Monday: "The Monday Mentor" - Summaries of Christian Topics

Come along with us on Mondays and be "mentored" as we examine various points of interest from book reviews to pertinent events in church history. We hope to challenge, stimulate, and encourage you as we share various facts about people, places, positions, and performances of interests.

6 comments:

Larri said...

Thanks, Gregg! That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear/read today. I have the verse marked in my Bible, and like how you've translated it. It's definitely easier to understand. Happy Monday!

Persis said...

Burroughs helped me so much in this issue of contentment. I love this quote!

kc bob said...

Good stuff Gregg. I remember God speaking to me years ago about how I listened to voices of discontentment when I was not content.

Michelle said...

Contentment sounds so pleasant...I'm a "I-can't-wait-til-such-and-such" type of person. I need to add contentment to my desire to be more joyful!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful post Gregg, contentment for me is inner peace with the world.

Yvonne.

Anonymous said...

As Christian contentment is a virtue, the opposite is a sin that can eat you alive! I love this Matthew Henry quote.

Discontent is a sin that is its own punishment and makes men torment themselves; it makes the spirit sad, the body sick, and all the enjoyments sour; it is the heaviness of the heart and the rottenness of the bones. It is a sin that is its own parent. It arises not from the condition, but from the mind. As we find Paul contented in a prison, so Ahab discontent in a palace. - Matthew Henry