Wow! Once again, I find myself saying and hearing, "Can you believe that this year is almost gone?"
For me, this has been a very quick or fast year. I do realize in reality it hasn't been any faster or for that matter slower than any other year. They have 365 or 366 days depending upon what we call 'Leap' Year. The time is the same but the feeling of rapidity is present.
As like many I had many ups and downs, blessings, and heart-aches this year. All in all our gracious Lord and Savior has been very good to me this past year. First and foremost in His long-suffering and grace with this sinner, yea, the chief of sinners.
For my previous final posts in the old year, I have written thank you notes to those of you who have read this blog, I have written poems, and I have tried to at times "wax eloquent." This year I thought I would do a favorites lists, 13 favorites things about 2013.
1. My Favorite Moment: Being asked to become the teaching pastor of North Kelso Baptist Church and to volunteer in the replanting of this church that had closed last year.
2. My Favorite Movie: The Jesse Stone Series
3. My Favorite Book: The two volume biography of D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones by Iain Murray
4. My Favorite TV Series: Burn Notice
5. My Favorite Opportunity: Driving to Modesto, CA and having Thanksgiving dinner with my 82 and 80 year old Father and Mother.
6. My Favorite Surprise: Finding and having a phone conversation with a dear brother that I went to Bible College with and lived in the same duplex setting. He was led to give us a car he was trying to sell for groceries when my car "blew-up" on the way home from work one day. I hadn't seen or talked to John since around 1980 or 1982.
7. My Favorite Bible Book: The Epistle of Paul to the Romans. I spent all of 2013 meditating and devotionally reading this letter. I may do it again in 2014.
8. My Favorite Football Team: The 13 and 3, NFC West Champs - The Seattle Seahawks
9. My Favorite Graduation Notice: My granddaughter, Madilynn N. Metcalf turned 18 this December and will be graduating from high school in June of 2014. She has applied to the UW.
10. My Favorite Girls: Shannon received a city of Vancouver award, promotion at work, Sonja was hired at what she calls her "dream job", Sharon was promoted at her work in Illinois, and Stacy is alive and well in Arizona.
11. My Favorite Birthday Girl: Irene, my beloved wife of 40 + years turned 60 on the 29th of December.
12. My Favorite Pastor: Past his 40 year mark at the Coal Creek Community Church. He was also diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. He remains faithful and a great example and inspiration to me.
13. My Favorite Expectation: That our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords would have come for His bride, the Church in 2013.