Monday, February 1, 2010

Today in Christian History!

Did You Know?

I was nosing around today out of boredom and discovered some interesting things that have taken place on this day in history. I thought you might find them interesting, thought provoking, or otherwise inspiring.

1750 Anglican clergyman and hymnwriter John Newton (author of "Amazing Grace"), 24, wedded Mary Catlett. Their marriage lasted 40 years, before her death in 1790. John lived another 17 years, and died in 1807.

1791 English founder of Methodism John Wesley wrote in a letter: 'Probably I should not be able to do so much did not many of you assist me by your prayers.'

1803 Anglican missionary to Persia, Henry Martyn wrote in his journal: 'Oh, that I may learn my utter helplessness without Thee, and so by deep humiliation be qualified for greater usefulness.'

1949 The modern state of Israel formally annexed West Jerusalem.

1901 Pioneer American missionaries Charles (37) and Lettie (31) Cowman set sail for Japan. Later in the year they founded the Oriental Missionary Society. They labored in the foreign field until Charles' worsening health forced them to retire in 1917.

No comments: