Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy First Birthday!

The Gospel Driven Disciples celebrates its first birthday!

Gospel Driven Disciples turns one year old today!


I can not believe that I have been blogging for one year.

I had been assigned to complete a week as manager relief in a branch in Bend, Oregon. It was late in the evening after a fast food dinner in my motel room that I started surfing the net. I made a decision to surf the Desiring God website. I came across what turned out to be a blog by Andy Piper listing six (6) reasons why pastors should blog.

Up until that moment I had barely heard the terms blog, blogging, or blogosphere. I really didn’t know what a blog was or what it was all about. However, as I read his reasons, I thought to myself, “I am a pastor and these are great reasons, so what the hey, why not.” At that moment, on a cold and gray February evening in a Motel Six motel room another little baby blog was born, in the ghetto. Oops that is another story.

The name The Gospel Driven Disciples was chosen as a reaction against Rick Warren and The Purpose Driven Life mania that swept the world. Theologically there was a lot to be desired with his "premise" and its ramifications. As I thought on this I realized we are not purpose driven, since any purpose is secondary to our original purpose of magnifying the glory of God and enjoying Him forever - which is the essence of the gospel, hence we are to be Gospel Driven Disciples.

It has taken some time to baby this blog along. I am still figuring out gadgets and accessories to my site. I have tried to make it attractive, easy to use and read, and beneficial. The goal of this blog is three fold, to magnify the character and nature of our sovereign God; to fulfill my life’s commitment found in Colossians 1:28-29; and to be a blessing to you.

 Eternity will one day reveal whether I have succeeded at the first two and only your much desired, welcomed, and needed comments will reveal if I have succeeded at the third goal.

To those who have become followersthank you so very, very much!

To those who leave comments, I am greatly encouraged!

To those who read this blog, I am greatly humbled and moved that you would do so.

Happy Birthday Gospel Driven Disciplesall the glory goes to the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Gregg
Your blog has been a great blessing to me.

I wonder if our crossing paths in cyberspace was God's plan from eternity passed?

God bless you, Ron

Lisa said...

Happy Blogoversary!!

You are great at this blog thing (smile) and will only get better the more you do it. I mean that sincerely!

Born "in the ghetto"...that was cute! :O)

You left a comment on my blog, part of which, "He is too wise to make a mistake and to loving to be unkind", was so beautiful to me. Only one who knows Him well knows that about Him. Thank you. :O)

Have a blessed day and wonderful weekend!

james said...

Congrats, Gregg!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I enjoyed reading how you got the title of your blog. Very interesting!! :) Have a blessed weekend!

AL said...

Happy Birthday to your blog! It looks great over here, I will be back.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment as well.
God bless!

Persis said...

Happy Blog B-day. God bless you, brother.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Thank you very much everyone for your wonderful comments and well wishes. I appreciate everyone of you. May God richly bless you for your kindness and grace towards me.