Friday, February 26, 2010

Leavened or Unleavened?


As unbelievable as it sounds, I am privileged to preach Sunday, March 7th, 2010 in the morning service of our fellowship. Our teaching Elder is privileged to go to the Shepherd’s Conference at Grace Church in Panorama City, CA.

March the 7th happens to be the first Sunday of the month which is when our fellowship chooses to celebrate the Lord’s Table. Not only will I give the morning exhortation following the reading of an apostle’s memoirs, (II Peter 3:14-18), I am privileged to lead in the obserance and celebration of the Lord’s Table.

Having studied the Lord’s Table numerous times and in depth, I have come to the conviction that the bread does not have to be leavened. It can be leavened or unleavened as we Gentiles participate and celebrate this memorial ordinance.

I am curious as to what you think about this idea. Should the bread, which represents the body of our Lord Jesus Christ which was offered as the propitiatory sacrifice be leavened or unleavened? Why? Please share a sentence or two for your reasoning, rationale, conviction, or belief. Thanks, I always love to learn new things!

What Say Ye?

5 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

I don't think it makes a difference. The point of the Lord's supper is that it is symbolic, a reminder. We can be reminded by leavened bread and wine, as described in the Bible or we can be reminded by Grape Nehi soda and HoHos.

The purpose is to, as oft as you do this (gather together, eat, break bread together, have lunch, eat a snack, etc, etc, etc), do it in remembrance of me... It seems to me the "in remembrance" is the important part.

For what it's worth...

Anonymous said...

To be honest I've never really thought about this subject. I've been a member of two churches in the past 30 years and both used unleavened.
As a deacon I served communion many times. Maybe I should have known a little more about the details of what I was doing.

If you were preaching a little closer to Lakewood, Ca. I would go to the service.

Ron

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be able to see it. I looked at some of the answers already and found them very eye opening. Thank you for participating. :) Have a blessed weekend!

Lisa said...

I don't know the answer, but agree with another of your commentors that we are doing it symbolically.

But I do disagree on one thing, Nehi Grape DOES NOT go with HoHos. Milk or coffee. :O)~

John said...

This was a big deal with the Primitive Baptists, and is still with many fundamentalists. Anything other than wine or unleavened bread is considered heresy. (I've heard sermons on it!)

I prefer the wine and unleavened bread, but I doubt that it matters. Our church serves both wine and grapejuice so that the person can choose.