Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Beauty of Faithfulness!

What Is Your Favorite Hymn?

As part of my devotion, I have a list of attributes of God that I praise and thank God for. King David once remarked that among the things he truly desired was to behold, to see and perceive from experience, the beauty of the LORD. (Psalms 27:4) I desire in the same manner to see the beauty of my God in order to value him more, in order to appreciate him more, in order to adore him more, and in order to worship him as he deserves.

We know that the LORD, our God is a Spirit. The body parts that are said to belong to God are anthropomorphic imagery to help us understand. We also know that God dwells in the incarnate Christ. So, if God is a Spirit and we can not see God, how can we see his beauty?

We see his beauty in his attributes. In those inherent characteristics and qualities of God we are able to see and to worship His beauty. As we learn more and more about God's character and nature the more we are able to understand him. The more that we understand those characteristics the more we come to adore, admire, and appreciate him!

As I was saying, part of my morning devotion is to see and savor those beautiful inherent characteristics of God. I take my list and look at Scripture that highlights a particular attribute. I then give thanks for God for that attribute and I praise him for it as I contemplate it. Then I look to my hymnal for a hymn that characterizes that attribute and I sing it to the Lord as worship and praise.

This morning’s attribute was God’s faithfulness. Among many scriptures that reflect this attribute I was led to Psalms 25:10; “All the paths of the LORD are steadfast and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.” (ESV)

The hymn that I was led to has become my favorite hymn, “How Firm a Foundation.” Can you see how beautiful the faithfulness of God is in the words of this hymn?

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said,
to you that for refuge to Jesus have fled?

"Fear not, I am with thee; O be not dismayed!
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
the rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
for I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
my grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
the flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
that soul, though all hell shall endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake."

What is your favorite hymn?

Why is it your favorite hymn?

10 comments:

Eddie Eddings said...

Amazing Grace always brings me to tears.

Anonymous said...

The first Christian hymn that moved me to tears was 'Softly and Tenderly' especially the part that says, 'sinner come home'.

It was like a special welcome home message from God Himself after the sinful life I had led before He saved me.

Softly and Tenderly will always be my number one hymn.

God bless you brother Gregg,

Ron

Mike said...

"The Old Rugged Cross". I love the words and I adore that the song is in the minor key.

Mike said...

By the way, you have to do a youtube search and watch the video "O mazing grace". It's absolutely hilarious. This guy has NO idea what the words are!!!

John said...

Lately I've had "Come thou fount of every blessing" stuck in my head. I remember hearing it at the Primitive Baptist meetings when I was a wee lad.

Anonymous said...

How Great Thou Art. Because it truly describes my heart. God bless you!!!

Persis said...

It's hard to pick just one hymn. I would have to go with "My hope is built on nothing less." I love the words in the chorus that declare "On Christ the solid rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand."

J Curtis said...

I'm in agreement with SJLY. "How Great Thou Art" is my favorite. I used to sometimes attend Coral Ridge Presbyterian and they would play that hymn on the gigantic Ruffati organ with a choir of about 100 and the congregation singing in harmony. It was enough to bring tears to your eyes.

Close 2nd place? "Just as I Am, Without One Plea" from the old Billy Graham crusades.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment!! I found it very helpful and I think you know a lot... for a guy. lol ;) Just kidding. God bless you! Have a wonderful night!

james said...

Lately, "Jesus Cast A Look Upon Me" has been a favorite.
http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/hymns/j01.html