Monday, September 30, 2013

Skipping Chapters in the Bible

Do you ever skip chapters in the Bible? Do you ever feel "guilty" because you skipped some chapters? Well, there are time that I have skipped some chapters. I have to admit that it makes me feel a little "guilty." I try and tell myself that I might be missing something beneficial, but I find myself skipping over - 

...the people of Parosh, two thousand one hundred and seventy two; the people of Shephatiah, three hundred and seventy two, the people of...and so on and so on.

I am afraid that I found myself skipping  over some chapters in my daily reading just recently. I am reading the Old Testament on a two year plan. I have come to Ezra. I just couldn't force myself to read every word of chapters one and two.

I am truly interested in all of God's word including the Old Testament. I believe it also is valuable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction. I have read those "parts" before including the "begets" and the "begots." But I just couldn't force myself this time around.

So, I find myself feeling a little "guilty." I want to read my daily reading but you know how it is? Sometimes my mind doesn't want to stay awake long enough to work my way to the end those "not-so-interesting" chapters.

Do you ever skip those type of chapters? Does that ever make you feel guilty? Do you just "power-through" and "get r done?"


3 comments:

Susan said...

Gregg, your posts on Bible reading sting a bit. There are entire books in the Bible that I avoid because I read my favorites, the gospels, Romans, Colossians, Galatians and Philippians over and over. I've started reading the Bible from the beginning before and petered out at Nehemiah. But it's because I try to follow a reading plan and usually can't keep up with it and fall further and further behind. So, I'm guilty, guilty, guilty. Hanging my head in shame....

Susan said...

Oh, and also Ephesians, and 1 & 2 Peter...

Anonymous said...

Gregg sorry for the delay.

Yes I too would skip a bit or two, not proud to admit it, but I suppose there are many others likewise to me.

Yvonne.