Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Not by My Strength!


“If I might read only one book beside the Bible, I would choose “The Christian in Complete Armour.” (John Newton, converted slave-trader who became a pastor and penned Amazing Grace.

The apostle Paul had a discerning heart. In writing to the early Christians at Ephesus, he knew he had to prepare them for unprecedented hardship. But first he longed to encourage and comfort them, so he reminded them of the Lord’s strength:

“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might…” (Eph 6:10)

It is as if he were thinking, “Some of my dear friends must be quaking in their boots to see their enemies so strong and themselves so weak, so numerous while they are so few, so well equipped and expert at arms while they are just raw recruits.” He must have known a fear-wracked soul is too occupied with its present distress to listen to advice from anyone, even a well-meaning friend.

He tells us, ‘Don’t let your fears overwhelm you. March on with undaunted courage and be strong in the Lord…” And here is the greatest consolation: “The outcome of the battle rests on God’s performance, not on your skill or strength!”

Great words to remember! Words I post to myself this morning as a reminder to fear not.

William Gurnall (1616-1679)

Taken from The Christian in Complete Armour, Vol. 1, The Banner of Truth Trust, p.17

1 comment:

The Navy Christian said...

I needed this today. I don't have anything as horrifying as what the believers in Haiti are going through, but I am in a spiritual battle for certain. It was good to read that I'm not the first to be afraid, outnumbered, and outgunned. It's also nice to be reminded that the battle rests on God's strength, not mine. Thank you!