Thursday, September 30, 2010

October’s Bible Reading Challenge

First, let me say I appreciate those of you who participated in the challenge to read Romans last month. I think it was a great exercise and I trust that you were blessed as you read through that great letter by the Apostle Paul.


Second, I hadn’t really thought about “what was next” until Ron of the Old Geezers Blog asked me what was next. I asked him for his suggestion and he put forward a choice of James and I John. Since, I love the epistle of James and I am experiencing one of the most severe trials of my life, I have decided to go with James.

Third, I would like to do it a little different this month. There are five (5) chapters to the epistle of James. There are also five (5) Saturdays in the month of October. What I would like to challenge you with is to read James chapter one (1) on October 1st. Then on Saturday, October 2nd I will summarize the salient points in the chapter while you make your comments, share your concerns and/or questions.

Now, here is where I want to make the challenge a bit different. Beginning on October 3rd read chapter two (2) each day during the week. On Saturday, October 9th I will summarize and you can make your comments, share your thoughts, and ask questions. We will do this for October. We will read the next chapter each day of the next week and then get together on Saturday for summary and sharing. We will end up reading chapters two (2) through five (5) seven times. Unfortunately, I thought of this too late to use the last portion of September to read chapter one (1). However, in the next thirty-one (31) days I am sure you could read chapter one (1) seven (7) times. Can you imagine how much you can glean, meditate, and apply if you read each chapter seven (7) times during the month of October? I know you can do it; it only takes about seven (7) minutes or so to read a chapter. Remember, repetition is the mother of learning.

Who is up for the challenge? Who will join us?

3 comments:

Larri said...

I'm in! :o) I love the book of James. It's one of my favorite books of the Bible.

I featured you and this challenge in my Thursday Concatenation. Happy Day! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I got way behind with the Romans Gregg, due to home curcumstances, I am still plodding through them at night when all is peaceful, when I know the phone won't be ringing.

Good luck with James hope many join you,

Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Judy said...

Hi Pastor Gregg,

I love the book of James. My prayer partner and I have been reading it for the past few days. We even read some of it today. Chapter 5 to be exact. I can't promise that I will read James as part of this challenge. I'm in a bible study in my church right now that requires us to read a book. But I can comment on what I know about the passages. Take care.

Blessings,
Judy