Wednesday, April 22, 2015

S is for Small Town USA

Small Town USA
by Gregg Metcalf
February 8, 2002

I work in a factory in small-town USA
I listen to the radio most everyday
I love to hear the singers as they hit the charts
with all their songs about broken hearts

I work hard at my job just to make a living
I won't get rich and I won't make a killing
I come home dirty, full of sweat and dirt
my back aches and every muscle hurts

So I'd go crazy if I couldn't hear em sing
bout cheatin' and drinkin' and everything
Like the man in black and Folsom Prison Blues
or like the Possum singing I just can't choose

So I saved some money and planned a little trip
to Nashville, Tennessee where they made the hits
It took a lot of doing just see the old Ryman Hall
But with my hat in hand I stood there in awe

Then suddenly it happened as I was standing there
a mournful sound came through the cold night air
I began to hear all the stars that once played
all those nights on the Grand Ole Opry stage

As I listened to em sing I couldn't stop movin’
I danced  with joy as I heard Charlie Louvin
Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash and of course ole Hank
with tears in my eyes I stood there and gave thanks

You producers and record giants and such
need to remember who listens and buys their stuff
I'm a working man whose saved for every tape
let em do it their way, forget all your debate

Cause I work in a factory in small-town USA
And I listen to the radio most everyday
I love to hear my singers as they hit the charts
with songs of love or life and broken hearts

2 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

Yet another good poem Gregg, get them published.

Yvonne.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Thank you! I would love to.