Thursday, October 10, 2013

IFCA Fall Regional - Update # 1

I truly enjoyed the portion of the Pacific Northwest Regional of the IFCA that I was able to attend. It is so good to be around fellow pastors. I was refreshed and revitalized!

The conference theme was Shepherding. It is a tremendous responsibility to shepherd the blood-bought people of God. What a privilege!

One of the workshops centered on a preaching plan. Pastors were encouraged to develop a preaching plan for 24-36 months (subject to change by the Holy Spirit.) The information was very good.

I for one have had a preaching plan for years. I believe in them and use them. It is a lot easier than wondering or fretting over what I am going to preach or teach next.

A good preaching plan includes not just what books or topics to preach, but it includes what you want to teach the church. Teaching is intentional. You must have a plan. 

I have a plan. My preaching plan for North Kelso is developed  from October 2013 through the end of 2015. I will continue developing as time goes on.

The first question I had to ask myself was, what do I want to teach, or what do I want North Kelso to learn? I will develop these points in further posts, but for now, here are the main things I want to teach the folks of North Kelso over the next two years or so:

  • Foundation Truths about God 
  • Foundational Truths about who the "church" is 
  • How to Suffer
  • Holiness
  • Equipping the saints for the work of the ministry
  • How to share the gospel
I have four major series planned that includes these various topics and doctrines:
  • The Magna Cater Series
  • The Foundational Series
  • The Soli Deo Gloria Series
  • The Master's Plan for His Assembly Series
  • Suffering for the Savior Series
Naturally all topics, series, and teaching choices are subject to the control and change by the Holy Spirit. However, if you fail to plan you plan to fail. Also, as I have said a number of times, if you aim at nothing you will hit it every time.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleased you enjoyed yourself. Did miss your post yesterday,

Yvonne,

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan Gregg. IFCA brings back memories when Robert was an IFCA pastor. I remember the national convention in 1981 in Sacramento when John MacArthur spoke and the power went out . He preached by candlelight in 100+ heat in a suit! Bless his heart. ha!

Gregg Metcalf said...

Yvonne - Thanks. It was poor planning on my part.

Diane - Thanks! Wow, preaching by candlelight must have been an adventure. Back in my BBF days I remember preaching in 100 degree plus church building in a full suit. No any more.