Thursday, October 3, 2013

Goals: Evaluations & Projections Part 1


Do you believe it is October already? Yesterday was the first day of the last quarter of this year. There are only 90 days left in 2013.

The first question most people would ask when confronted with this information is, "Where did the year go?" This question is certainly valid and does not come as a surprise. However, I think a better question that a believer should ask is, "What did I do with this year?"

Pastor James gave us a very sober reminder when he wrote, "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit;' whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." (James 4:13-14, NKJV)

Paul is just as serious when he admonishes the Colossians, "Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time." (Colossians 4:5, NKJV) Time is really precious. None of us knows how much time we have in this life-time.

Many of you have read and followed this blog almost since the beginning, some five (5) years ago. As a result you have heard me talk about goals, goal setting, monitoring goals, and achieving goals. In addition you have "heard" me encouraging you to take the last quarter of the year and dedicate it to the goal process.

Evaluation

I advocate that you take October to review each goal that you had set for this year. List each goal on a sheet of paper and then through the month of October evaluate each one of your goals. 

Be sure to prayerfully seek the mind of the Holy Spirit for this exercise. Ask God by His Holy Spirit to enable you to clearly evaluate each and every goal.

Look at the goal itself. Ask the following questions about each goal:

  • Did God through His Spirit lead me to set this goal?
  • What value or benefit did God intend for me to derive?
  • Was this a realistic and/or achievable goal?
  • Did I establish realistic steps in order to reach or achieve each goal you established?
  • Did I sufficiently, accurately, and prayerfully monitor the steps that I established or set?
  • What goal (s) did I fail to reach or achieve?
  • Why did I not reach or achieve this goal (s)?

Please, permit me to caution you not to hasten or rush through this process. Take most or all of the month of October and carefully, prayerfully, and honestly think back through the year. Do an honest evaluation of each one of your goals.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I want to move to the Projection portion of this two part blog. Hope you join me then!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have written down all these suggestions at making goals, and I like the praying over them the best! I would like to suggest your blog and these goal settings on my blog. Would you mind if I did this. I might copy and paste your goal suggestions and recommend your blog to my readers. Let me know if I have permission to do this? I think all Christians should do this for 2014!