Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturdays with Spurgeon #010


Preach earnestly THE LOVE OF GOD IN CHRIST JESUS, (sic) and magnify the abounding mercy of the Lord; but always preach it in connection with his justice. Do not extol the single attribute of love in the method too generally followed, but regard love in the high theological sense, in which, like a golden circle, it holds within itself all the divine attributes: for God were not love if he were not just, and did not hate every unholy thing. Never exalt one attribute at the expense of another. Let boundless mercy be seen in calm consistency with stern justice and unlimited sovereignty. The true character of God is fitted to awe, impress, and humble the sinner: be careful not to misrepresent your Lord. (Lectures to My Students, p. 417)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent as usual Gregg! Did anyone ever tell you that you resemble Spurgeon?!

I posted this quote of Spurgeons on my facebook. I pray it helps someone reading it!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

It always makes me think when I read your posts.....that can't be a bad thing. Loved this as usual.

Thanks for the comment I forgot to put the music on but much of what I want is copyrighted now.
Yvonne.

David C Brown said...

"righteousness and peace have kissed each other", Psalm 85: 10. In Christ, and for us in His cross.