Friday, November 6, 2009

Guidelines for Devotions


It has taken time, effort, failure, change, patience, blessings, and repetition, but I have come to love my devotional time with my God. I want to take a moment and share a few things that have benefited me and I trust may be of some use to you.

1. come to your devotional time with the expectation of meeting God in His Word

2. come to your devotional time with the expectation of being changed by God

3. come to your devotional time with the expectation to grow Spiritually

Your time of devotion, whether morning or evening is a meeting. It is not a mechanical habit. It is a meeting with the living God. Don’t miss the person in the meeting. We have the tendency to stumble over dollars while trying to pick up dimes.

I recommend:

  • Get alone with God – remove all distractions including computer, radio, etc.
  • Ask God for a hunger for Him – He is the prize! He is the brass ring.
  • Desire and ask God for freshness in your time of devotion
  • Principlize the text you are studying – what principles are drawn from your passage
  • Practice what you have learned
I am always trying to improve my time with God. So I am interested in reading about your devotional time. What do you do? What do you include? What makes your time alone with God meaningful? How do you keep your devotion fresh?

Please, take a minute and with a comment share your practice. It would certainly bless me and just might bless others as you take this time to honor our glorious God.

Looking forward to reading about your devotional time!

No comments: