Sunday, April 15, 2012

Whitefield and the Doctrines of Grace




A sense of my actual sins and natural deformity humbled me exceedingly; and then the freeness and riches of God’s everlasting love broke in with such light and power upon my soul, that I was often awed into silence and could not speak.

This however, is my comfort, “Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever. He saw me from all eternity; He gave me being; He called me in time; He freely justified me through faith in His blood; He has in part sanctified me by His Spirit; He will preserve me underneath His everlasting arms till time shall be no more. Oh the blessedness of these evangelical truths! These are indeed gospel; they are glad tidings of great joy to all that have ears to hear. These, bring the creature out of himself. These, make him hang upon the promises, and cause his obedience to flow from of a principle of love.

Satan will accuse me; my answer shall be, The Lord Jesus is my righteousness; how darest thou to lay anything to the charge of God’s elect? I stand here, not in my own, but His robes; and though I deserve nothing as a debt, yet I know He will give me a reward of grace, and recompense me for what He has done in me and by me, as though I done it by my own power. Oh, how ought this to excite our zeal and love for the holy Jesus.

--George Whitefield,
From his Journals

Recorded in George Whitefield, Vol. 1, p.404, 406


What is your testimony?

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A great Sunday post Gregg. Did you not post you letter "M" yesterday? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Yvonne.

Larri said...

Excellent! I must look up 'George Whitefield' for I do not know who he was. Happy Sunday! ☺