Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Redeemed!


“All my theology is reduced to this narrow compass – Christ Jesus came into this world to save sinners.”

--Archibald Alexander

The word for redeemed implies the idea of a slave standing on an auction block being offered for sale to the highest bidder. However, an outside bidder wins the bid, purchases the slave only to give him his unconditional freedom. The newly freed slave in overwhelming gratitude binds himself to the winning bidder and offers himself as a bond servant for the rest of his life.

Man is separated from God by sin. Man is also in absolute bondage by sin. Man, from conception is under the condemnation and judgment of God. Here is another however; God is freeing a company of mankind from the bondage or slavery of sin by the slaughter of His only son, the Lord Jesus Christ. In other words, God is at work redeeming a company of sinners by reconciling them to Himself through the payment of a price by Jesus Christ.

The realization of this great work of redemption by God through Christ causes the newly redeemed sinner to sing, Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it, redeemed by the blood of the lamb.

FannyJ. Crosby, a blind songwriter, who wrote over 8,000 songs,  joined with William Kirkpatrick’s music and wrote this gospel favorite:

Redeemed, how I love to  proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the lamb
Redeemed through his infinite mercy
His child, and forever I am

Chorus:  Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the lamb
Redeemed, redeemed
His child and forever I am

Redeemed and so happy in Jesus
No language my repute can tell
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell
Chorus

I think of my blessed Redeemer
I think of Him all the day
I sing, for I cannot be silent,
His love is the theme of my song

Chorus

I know I shall see in his beauty
The king in whose law I delight
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps
And giveth me songs in the night.

Chorus

8 comments:

Trisha said...

I can hear my Dad singing that song right now. It was one of his favorites. Beautiful reminder, Gregg, of this wonderful truth!

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! I do love this word. And I remember this song. Its not sung anymore at the places I go as new songs have taken over the praise and worship. But its a Gospel Classic!

kc bob said...

Yes! Is there a sweeter word than redemption?

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A great R word Gregg.
I enjoyed the song though I can't remember it,




The singer Jackie Wilson who sang today.s song on my blog did die young . Appartently he had a heart attack at 39 years went into a coma for nearly nines years until he passed away, Ss sad,
Thanks for coming by,
Yvonne.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Gregg. It's been years since we've sung this song. Thanks for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Yes!! Such a wonderful word and concept. Visiting from the A-Z challenge.

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Petra said...

Great R post! Fanny Crosby is one of my faves! Blessings!

Larri said...

Your 'R' post is a wonderful explanation of Redeemed. Thank God for gifting Ms. Crosby with songwriting abilities to articulate what our hearts know is true.