If you feel like 2015 was a rough year, you are not alone. A good number of believers have experienced trials, tribulations, and testings this past 12 months. Much of what tried our fellow brothers and sisters could have been avoided by watching our heart more carefully. Please, I am not discounting the will of our sovereign God. Understanding and holding to the sovereignty of God does not relieve us of the responsibility that falls to us to do or not to do various things.
So, the first thing one would think of in order not repeat some of these tribulations, trials, and/or testings is make sure we avoid making our situation worse by making some common mistakes. In particular it might make a better year if we avoid the following:
1. Thinking more highly of ourselves than we should (Romans 12:3)
2. Setting our affections on things below (Colossians 3:2)
3. Bad company (I Corinthians 15:33)
4. Satisfying the desires of the flesh (Galatians 5:16-26)
5. Failing to vigilantly guarding the heart (Proverbs 4:23)
What say ye? What would you add to this list?