He was serious and not in any way jesting when he asked, "I like my pastor a lot, but can you tell me why his sermons are so boring?" A hundred answers ran through my mind as I thought about that question but the over-riding thought that invaded my mind was, "I hope no one thinks I am boring."
- People listen to a sermon expecting inspiration to encourage spiritual growth
- People look to preaching for spiritual leadership, especially as it relates to current life and societal issues
- People rely on preaching for serious spiritual content abou the bible ad not simply advice that can be found in any self-help book
- People listen to preaching expecting a long-lasting impact
- People come to church hoping for a sermon that will make a difference in their hearts and an impact on their lives