My Bucket List
The term “bucket list” refers to a list of things that one wishes to do before one, dies, or “kicks the bucket.” This term was referenced in the Rob Reiner movie called, The Bucket List which starred Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. These men portrayed terminally ill men who go on a road trip in order to do the things they wanted to do before they died.
Since most of us have no idea when we will die, we either a) never make a list or think about the things we truly would like to see or do, or b) think we have plenty of time in order to accomplish the things we may have thought we would like to do. The benefit these two men had was the fact that they knew they were going to die soon. So, they made a list, hit the road and set out to accomplish them.
Sitting around one afternoon a couple of friends began to talk about what they have seen and done and what they would like to see and do. This light and whimsical conversation prompted me to think about what I would like to do before I died.
A bucket list can have as many items on it as a person wishes. Truly, bucket lists are limited only by one’s imagination. Granted sometimes time, health, and money are some very important factors in being able to complete the things on one’s list. Having taken these things into consideration and mentioned them, here is my “bucket list” of the top twelve things I would like to see, do, or experience before I die. For the record, these are in no particular order; they are recorded as I thought of and evaluated them.
1. That all four daughters and grandchildren have come to know the Lord as Savior and Lord
2. Write and publish a book
3. Meet and have dinner with “The Possum,” the incomparable George Jones
4. Meet and fly with Jim Tweto of ERA Alaska
5. Preach through the NT, at least Luke-Acts, the 13 Epistles of Paul, and Revelation
6. Tour the Smithsonian Institute
7. Visit and tour Spurgeon's Metropolitan Tabernacle in London, England
8. Drive the famed Route 66 from start to finish
9. Obtain a private pilot’s license
10. Visit my birthplace of Salem, Ohio with wife, where I lived the first 12 years of my life
11. Visit the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame
12. Visit the Jonathan Edwards Center at Yale, His home, and church in Northampton, MA
What's on your bucket list?