Thursday, June 4, 2009

That Old Rugged Cross

“In all the creatures, indeed, both high and low, the glory of God shines, but nowhere has it shone more brightly than in the cross, in which there has been an astonishing change of things, the condemnation of all men as been manifested, sin has been blotted out, salvation has been restored to men; and in short, the whole world has been renewed, and everything restored to good order.” --John Calvin In his book, Humility: True Greatness, C. J. Mahaney encourages us, for the purpose of killing pride, to begin each day reflecting on the wonder of the cross. Thomas Ascol noted, “The crucifixion of Jesus Christ is the hinge on which all biblical revelation turns. Together with the resurrection of Christ, it is the apex of redemptive history.” Can you not be moved when you hear or read the words of Isaac Watts – “When I survey the wondrous cross, on which the Prince of glory died, my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride. See, from His head, His hands, His feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down, did e’er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown?”
As I reflect on that old rugged cross that so long ago was stained with blood so divine I am still amazed! The cross is a constant reminder that my sin and guilt has been divinely and eternally dealt with. I am humbled and my pride does crumble as I reflect and realize, although I deserved punishment, judgment, death, and hell, God provided a satisfactory sacrifice for my sins, apart from anything I could ever warrant or do.
When I do survey that wonderful cross I do see the glory of God shine the brightest and I marvel that God used the cross to blot out my sin and provided salvation. At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light! (Isaac Watts)

No comments: