Thursday, March 19, 2009

Resolutions and Reformation

Having advised my Adult Bible Class to forget about traditional "resolutions" this year, I suggested they take a look at the Seventy Resolutions of JE. (Jonathan Edwards). I suggested that we make a resolution against resolutions and to strive for reformation of life. I love his preamble if you would to his seventy resolutions: "Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by His grace to enable me to keep these resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to His will, for Christ's sake." I too, realize that I cannot do anything for His glory that will stand the test of His judgement apart from His specific and yes gracious enabling. I am in much need of His grace all of the time for any lasting and righteous change to take place in my life. It is such a shame (and sin) that we so easily forget the need of being dependent upon God. I tremble at the thought of how much "for His kingdom" I have attempted in my own energy. I need constant reminders that no matter how busy life can get or how involved I am in ministry, it is by God's grace that I can accomplish specifics task for the glory of God. So, what will it be this year? Traditional resolutions or reformation of life by God's grace?

No comments: