Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What Did You Resolve for 2012?

"I appeal to you...to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God..." (Romans 12:1, ESV)

While the rest of the world is making and pronouncing grandiose resolutions for this coming year, what about you Christian? How have you responded to this challenge by the Apostle Paul to the Roman believers? What resolution have you made to respond to this challenge to give yourself without reserve to the service of our gracious God?

I realize that many of us simply dismiss this challenge because we believe it is impossible for us to keep. After all, the last thing we need is one more resolution dangling about broken and forgotten. Recognition of our weaknesses and reluctance to step out in faith and make such an oath should not keep us from making it our aim. The good news is that such a commitment is not grouped with such things as "three strikes and you're out."

William Law wrote in A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life in regards to why particular sins are so prevalent, "Now the reason...is this, because men have not so much as the intention to please God in all their actions." Ouch! What is my intention? What is your intention? Do we, as blood-bought redeemed children of God intend to to please God in all of our actions? This is what Paul had in mind when he addressed the Christians at Rome.

It seems this intention is the key to a life of obedience, service, and holiness. Remember my favorite axiom, if we aim at nothing we will hit it every time? Well, if we don't make such a commitment, even though we know that we may fail not once but several times, we will never strive to live such a life that Christ and Paul called for.

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

What I have resolved for the New Year is (not in an unkind way) not to suffer fools gladly, I was so upset last year and God wouldn't have wanted me to be so low. on the other hand I have to have hope,
that is what life is based upon. I won't though let people upset me to the point of despair.

Yvonne.

mikew116 said...

I resolved to meet my goals for the coming year as far as God allows. That's pretty much it.