Monday, June 2, 2014

Streator, Illinois

Well, we pulled in to my daughter's driveway at 1:00 PM on Sunday afternoon (18th). They have a cute little two bedroom house in Streator. They welcomed us with kisses and hugs and we went in and sat down to relax after 3 1/2 days on the road.

My daughter had gone over board on hospitality and goodies. She had enough snacks for an army. After we rested a bit and had a light lunch, we commenced to unload the trailer. My daughter loved everything that her mother had brought. She squealed in girlish delight as each item came off the trailer. She and my wife then spent the next two full days putting up, setting up, and  decorating her house.

We had Sharon buy a griddle before we arrived. I love to cook breakfast. I cooked everyone breakfast the 4 mornings we were there. We gave her the money for the griddle and left it with them so she could continue to use it. Jasson is now spoiled and wants breakfast each morning.

Streator is a quaint, small,  nice little mid-west town of about 13,000. Streator is a city in LaSalle and partially in Livingston counties in the US state of Illinois. The city is situated on the Vermilion River approximately 81 miles southwest of Chicago, Illinois in the prairie and farm land of north-central Illinois. The city is the hometown of Clyde Tombaugh, who in 1930 discovered the dwarf planet Pluto, the first object to be discovered in what would later be identified as the Kuiper Belt; and George "Honey Boy" Evans, who wrote "In the Good Old Summer Time." 

Irene and I fell in love with it. (This is our second visit there. We flew to Chicago and rented a car back in 2010) I brought my power chair and we were able to "wheel" downtown and around town. 

We would get up around 5:30 - 6:00 AM shower, dress, have some coffee. We would leisurely head over from the motel to their house about 7:00ish and then visit all day and head back to the motel around 9:00 or 9:30. Irene and Sharon spent every minute doing something together. When Jasson got home from work about 7:30 AM, I would cook breakfast. He would watch some sports with me until about 10:00 AM and he would go to bed. He worked the night shift 7:00 to 7:00.

I can't get over the fact that they have a 71 inch HD TV. Watching baseball or basket ball was amazing.The HD is so powerful you could see the moles and freckles on the actresses and the beard growing on the actors. I am ruined. I don't think I will ever be able to afford a 71 inch TV but I sure would like one.

One interesting tid-bit about our motel. Irene and Sharon checked us in while I watched TV with Diontre. She checked us in Sunday evening and said we would be there until Thurs morning and paid the fare. Wednesday evening we went back to the room for the night and our keys didn't work. Irene went to the desk and low and behold they had checked us out. They took everything we had in the room to the office and re-keyed the keys. They told us that they thought we were leaving on Wednesday and they hadn't seen us that day. Duh! We told them we just sleep there. But they checked the computer and gave us new keys and returned all our things.

Three and 1/2 days went by quick. Irene prettied up Sharon's house. We had a great visit. The weather was perfect. Sunshine and warm everyday. It was hard leaving Wednesday evening. The tears were flowing. We said our good-byes when we left because we were leaving for home from the Motel early Thursday morning.

We went back to the room. We relaxed a bit and went to sleep. We got up about 4:00 AM and we were on the road by 5:00 AM. It was tempting to turn around a couple of times but we had to head for home.

Tomorrow Streator to York, NE

No comments: