Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Forty One Years

Forty one years ago Irene and I were married at the Tar Landing Missionary Baptist Church of Jacksonville, North Carolina. I was 18 and she was 19. Only by God's grace have we reached today.

At 7:30 PM my high school sweetheart walked down the aisle, took my hand, repeated vows, and agreed to marry me on June 18th, 1973. The bride wore a $11.00 white K-Mart dress and the groom wore his Marine Corps dress Greens.

We have no momentos and only one picture from that day. I was a PFC in the Marine Corps making a total of 288.00 a month. We had a little Betty Crocker box cake, a couple of witnesses and a Baptist pastor. What we do have is 41 years of living, four daughters, and four grandchildren.


3 comments:

Eddie Eddings said...

Congratulations to the both of you!
Love your story. I can relate. My wife and I had a poor man's wedding as well.

Persis said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! May God bless you with many more.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! God bless you both in a special way!!!