Thursday, October 1, 2015

Each Time I Had to Call

Each Time I Had to Call
Gregg Metcalf

A couple of girls came up to me
In the Dollar Store parking lot
I knew what they wanted before
They asked, they wanted a five spot

I told them the truth that out late at night
I didn’t carry a wallet, nor a single dime
I couldn’t help them so they moved along
But that made me think of another time

I remember when times were hard and low
We didn’t have a single dime to our name
No food in the fridge and no gas in the tank
Even thought we might be put out in the rain

I cried to the Lord and asked what was up
Here I am doing what you want I thought
I was scared thinking I’ve made a mistake
Surely it wouldn’t be that God had forgot

With a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes
I fell to my knees and began to make my plea
I reminded the Lord about all of our troubles
I ask him please, Lord could you remember me

How foolish I must have sounded to our Lord
Like some little child who had lost his way
How easy it is to forget just who He really is
It’s too easy to complain than it is to pray

It has been nearly 40 years since I lived those times
I’ve been to a lot of places and done many a thing
I’ve never gone hungry, nor had to live on the street
Never missed what I needed while serving the King

God has been so good I can’t count every blessing
And I can’t describe living this amazing grace
Undeserved, unmerited, never rating these gifts
Behind the dark clouds was always His smiling face

So Lord let me take just a few lines to tell
How much I love you and I’ve appreciated it all
I wouldn’t trade a single trial or one of those days
Thank you for being there each time I had to call


1 comment:

nashvillecats2 said...

What a wonderful poem Gregg? thought provoking also. enjoyed the read.
Yvonne.