Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Each Time I Had To Call

Tonight I was walking my dog Fifi around 10:00 PM. We circled the park and then crossed the street into the Twin City Shopping Center. All the stores were closed and the parking lot was almost empty of cars. I was approached my two girls who asked me for money. I don't carry money when I walk the dog in case I were to be robbed. After I told them I didn't have any money they went there way. 

The incident prompted me to thank God and to acknowledge that except for the grace of God there go I. This made me think however of a time when I didn't have a dime and could have become a beggar. But God always, even at the last minute would always supply.

God has supplied places for us to live miraculously, cars, food, college tuition, clothes, shoes, haircuts, bible college tuition and books, gasoline, frivolous and foolish bills, and insurance. We have never gone without the basic necessities and we have never had to beg. He has let me preach in at least four states, hundreds of churches, thousands of sermons, College Chapel, High school chapels, street corners, parks, old-folk homes. He has let me pastor churches. God has so good to me, not to mention forgiving my sin and saving me.

So, I dedicate this poem to God and to John Gale. John was one of those guys God used to teach me faith and dependence. When our family car broke down for good, John and Sue Gale gave us a car. Thank you God and thank you John and Sue Gale.


Each Time I Had to Call

A couple of girls came up to me
In the dollar store parking lot
I knew what they wanted before
They asked, they wanted a five spot

I told them the truth that out late at night
I didn’t carry a wallet, nor a single dime
I couldn’t help them so they moved along
But that made me think of another time

I remember when times were hard and low
We didn’t have a single dime to our name
No food in the fridge and no gas in the tank
Even thought we might be put out in the rain

I cried to the Lord and asked what was up
Here I am doing what you wanted I thought
I was scared and thinking I’ve made a mistake
Surely it wouldn’t be that God had forgot

With a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes
I fell to my knees and began to make my plea
I reminded the Lord about all of our troubles
I asked him please, would you remember me

How foolish I must have sounded to our Lord
Like some little child who had lost his way
How easy it is to forget just who He really is
It’s easier to complain than it is to pray

It has been nearly 40 years since I lived those times
I’ve been to a lot of places and done many a thing
I’ve never gone hungry, nor had to live on the street
Never missed what I needed while serving the King

God has been so good I can’t count every blessing
And I can’t describe living this amazing grace
Undeserved, unmerited, never rating these gifts
Behind the dark clouds was always His smiling face

So Lord let me take just a few lines to tell
How much I love you and I’ve appreciated it all
I wouldn’t trade a single trial or one of those days
Thank you for being there each time I had to call


No comments: