Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Where are you Looking?


Over the last forty (40) years I have written a number of quotes, comments, pithy sayings, and poems in the fly-leafs of my bibles. Each Tuesday I am going to share those various entries from my bibles with you. I hope they will be as much of blessing to you as they have been to me. Sometimes I will be able to give credit where credit is due and sometimes I won’t be able to credit the source. I apologize for this to each one who contributed these gems over the last forty (40) years.


Today’s Treasure: 

If you want to be Distressed - Look Within

If you want to be Defeated - Look Back

If you want to be Dismayed - Look Ahead

If you want to be Distracted - Look Around

If you want to be Delighted - Look UP!

5 comments:

Larri said...

Looking Up! Looking Up! :) Thanks for the reminder. Happy Tuesday :)

IanH said...

That is a really good one! Keep 'em coming, Gregg. I enjoy every one.

momto8 said...

interesting! I would hope going within would not make me feel distressed or looking back would make me feel defeated or looking ahead would make me feel dismayed...

Gregg Metcalf said...

@Ann Marie

The idea is that if we look within, we can we distressed because we often see ourselves as what we really are, flawed, weak, and sinful creatures. Which apart from Christ are, and actually far worse.

If we look back we are prone to see our failures and moments of wasted opportunities.

If we look ahead, we can see many obstacles, giants, and difficulties in our paths.

If we look around, there are so many things in this world than can distract us from our main priority of knowing and making known Jesus Christ.

It is only when we look to him (up) that we are strong (in him) and that we are successfull (in him) and that we are encouraged (in him) and that we stay focused (in him).

This is not scripture, it is a little "treasure" to remind us to keep our eyes off of ourselves and others and keep them on Christ.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Some great quotes there Gregg and most enjoyable to read.


Thanks also for the glowing comment, I was pleased you enjoyed the song.

Yvonne.