Monday, September 17, 2012

The Success of Failing

Many times we as pastors need to be reminded that "success" in our ministries do not always come when we need or plan them. This valuable principle comes from Murray's book, Archibald G Brown; Spurgeon's Successor on page 46. Brown had preached on the text Luke 7:14 (Jesus' words to the Widow of Nain.) Brown was especially certain that great results would come from the powerful preaching of this text. Here is his comment:

I was so certain that there would be a number of conversions that I announced that on Monday evening I would be waiting in the chapel to converse with penitents. I was there, and I waited hour after hour, but not a soul came. At last I could bear it no longer and I went out to the back of the chapel and, flinging myself on the long rank, grass, I writhed in anguish of soul. I went home at 9 o'clock, worn out and feeling that I had been 'let down.'

Some years later he made this remark to some other men:

If you are cast down, remember it may be God's way of preparing you.

Success comes from God and in God's timing. We cannot dictate to or influence the Holy Spirit to produce spiritual results. The Holy Spirit is sovereign and He will apply the blood of Christ to the hearts of God's elect as He wills.

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit. (John 3:8, ESV)

_________________________________ 
Iain Murray, Archibald G. Brown; Spurgeon's Sucessor, p. 46

4 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I enjoyed reading this Gregg, you have such an insight of life and the spiritual life which must comfort many.

Had the result of my X ray today apparently a bone by the collar bone and a bone in the shoulder(both sides) are wearing, in other words Gregg I'm getting older. Also I have a weakness in my neck due to back surgery years ago and whiplash hence all the pain.
so I am trying to get back to my old self as there must be many worse off than me.
Yvonne.

Lynn Proctor said...

great post today :)

John Patrick Donovan said...

I havent been in awile just revued everything i missed thanks for doing this blog brother i enjoy it much and will try to get back more often.

Josh Litton said...

I have never given any thought to Spurgeon's successor. Didn't even know who he was or think anything of it. Great insights. Will keep this post in mind.