Monday, August 20, 2012

Gregg's Rules


Apparently Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS has rules, called Gibbs' Rules, that he enforces with everyone on his team. In season three, episode five (5) called "Switch" he told Ziva that there are approximately fifty rules. However, only a few rules have been revealed.

So, when it comes to reading and books, I must have rules that I enforce also. I must also have approximately fifty (50) rules, since Gibbs is no better than me. Since I just learned of this, only a few of my rules have been revealed. Here are the ones that have been revealed thus far. Stay tuned for further revelation. 

Gregg’s Rules

1.  Never let good theological books remain unread

2.  Never handle books without tender loving care

3.  Never overpay for books; use www.cheapestbookprice.com

4.  Never depend upon someone else for study – study and verify yourself

5.  Never be too busy to read

6.  Never keep a good book to yourself – always share beneficial truths with others, especially me

7.  Never take a good theological book for granted; cherish them as a grandmother cherishes her grandchildren

8.  Never read a book without a pen or pencil

9.  Never read a book without becoming involved with the book and the author

10.  When you finish a really good book recommend it others, especially me

6 comments:

Tyrean Martinson said...

Love your rules!

One of my current theological faves lately is: Eat This Book by Eugene Peterson.

Arlee Bird said...

I know I have enough time to read. My biggest problem is that I not only read rather slow, but my mind also tends to wander as I read--I start thinking too much about what I've read and have to go back and reread a lot.

Your rules are good and I need to institute a few of these with more dedication.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Larri said...

That's the best list of 'nevers' I've ever seen! I follow many of them. Recommendation: Have your read Francince Rivers' Voice in the Wind trilogy? Some of the greatest Christian Fiction I've ever read. :) Happy Monday!

L said...

Gregg, you might not like a lot of the stuff on my blog, but you might find this post helpful:

http://thereformedcatholic.blogspot.com/2012/02/list-of-important-modern-christian.html

It contains a list of nearly every book that David Calhoun - a PCA professor of church history at Covenant Theological Seminary - mentions in his class on the Protestant Reformation. There might be some titles in that list that you haven't read. Anyway, great list. And NCIS is awesome.

Persis said...

I really like those, Gregg! I need to work on #1.

mikew116 said...

Those are some good ones.