Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for Parvis




Parvise or Parvis 

 A parvise or parvis refers to a room over the porch of a building used for the gathering of the church. These rooms are found in Norman buildings and meeting places throughout England. At times these rooms were used as school rooms. 


 A parvise or parvis also refers to an enclosed area or courtyard in front of a building – especially a building like a cathedral or building designed for the gathering of the church. In some cases a parvis is like a cloister which is surrounded with colonnades or porticoes. If there is a single portico or colonnade in front of a building it is considered to be a porch.


 The word 'parvis' comes to via an Old French from the  Latin word 'paradisus', meaning 'paradise. It is from Anglo-Norman and middle French derivatives. It was used to describe the front of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.

5 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I have seen them Gregg but never knew what they were called.
Great P Post.

Yvonne.

Darlene said...

I didn't know there was a special word for that. The nerd in me finds the origins of words fascinating.

Petra said...

I have a special love for old buildings, especially churches. Learned a new word again.

Thanks for the visit and explanation. I would guess that you still have my old feed address in your reader (the self-hosted WP This Good Steward blog that I transferred to blogger, which would explain why it shows its last post of December). TGS's new blogger feed address is
http://www.thisgoodsteward.com/feeds/posts/default. The GFC follow widget on my current site is also a new one, hopefully directing my former readers and friends to the new feed address. Thanks for directing me to the potential 'feed updating' problems that some of my former followers might be having.

Thank you again! Blessings!

kc bob said...

Sounds like a great places to have church!

Hope you are well Gregg. I have been offline for a few months and just getting back to the Blogosphere.

Belated Happy Easter!

Bob

Larri said...

I believe the cathedral I attended as a girl has a parvis, though I had no idea that's what is was called. Interesting 'P' post, Gregg. Thanks for the new word!