Friday, December 23, 2011

Gregg Metcalf's 55 Undeniable Truths - The First Ten

Much of my world is black and white. A number of influences, both good and bad over the last 56 years have made me pretty much what I am.

For my 55th birthday, I thought I would write down some of the truths I have come to appreciate, operate, and or calculate as being of great value. (I often write my thoughts, feelings, and/or significant musings on my birthdays. One day I will share a song with you I wrote for my 45th birthday, entitled "Forty-Five and A Little Bit Crazy.")

Of course, our Sovereign God has a unique purpose decreed for my life long before I was ever conceived. The indwelling Holy Spirit and the Word of God have both impacted my life.

Please do not make the mistake and assume that I don't have shades of grey coloring certain issues from time to time. I do not mean to imply that I am rigid, unbendable, or cannot compromise when need be. Amongst the occasion shades of gray I have developed over a life time some undeniable truths. From time to time I am going to post these truths. Today I leave you with my first 10 of my 55 undeniable truths:

1.  If you don't ask, you won't get. The worse anyone can do or say is no!

2.  Life is not fair. After the fall, it can never be fair. However, life is still good. Take Don Henley and Glen Frey from the Eagles advice and "Get over it!"

3.  Character does matter in an individual. Character, whether good or bad, guides your decisions and choices.

4.  Laws serve as restraints and penalties serve as punishments. Penalties were never meant to rehabilitate nor serve as a deterrent.

5.  Words mean things. They must be chosen carefully, and be fully understood.

6.  Practice does not make perfect! Only perfect practice makes perfect.

7.  Not everybody can be a winner. There are losers. People really do loose.

8.  It is never right to do wrong. Rationalization, , relativism, and/or situational ethics will never make a wrong a right.

9.  It is OK to fail. If allowed and you are smart enough, you will learn valuable lessons from your failures.

10.  The man who says there is no God is not the only fool. The man who says there is a God and then fails to live by His standards is  also a fool.

5 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

These are excellent examples to learn life by Gregg.
The mistakes I have made and learnt from them are invaluable to me. The failure bit, I feel a failure .....I have failed my son somewhere along the way and can't think how or why. I wish I knew.

Whose cooking over Christmas?

Yvonne.

Persis said...

I like those, Gregg.

LD Masterson said...

A good list. Have a Marry and Blessed Christmas.

Brian Ray Todd said...

Wise is good, but wise shared is much better. Thank you for sharing Pastor Greg. Happy birthday and blessings to you & your family this Christmas.

Meghan New said...

I really like the last one. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!