Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Passing of Someone Else

“Obituary – Someone Else”

Our church was saddened to learn this week of the death of one of our most valued members, Someone Else.

Someone’s passing creates a vacancy that will be difficult to fill. Else has been with us for many years and for every one of those years, Someone did far more than a normal person’s share of the work.

Whenever there was a job to do, a class to teach, or a meeting to attend, one name was on everyone’s list, “Let Someone Else do it.” Whenever leadership was mentioned, this wonderful person was looked to for inspiration as well as results; “Someone Else can work with that group.”

It was common knowledge that Someone Else was among the most liberal givers in our church. Whenever there was a financial need, everyone just assumed Someone Else would make up the difference.

Someone Else was a wonderful person; sometimes appearing superhuman. Were the truth known, everybody expected too much of Someone Else. Now Someone Else is gone! We wonder what we are going to do.

Someone Else left a wonderful example to follow, but who is going to follow it? Who is going to do the things Someone Else did? When you are asked to help this year, remember – we can’t depend on Someone Else anymore.

- Author Unknown

 
Every fellowship has a someone esle, someone who goes steps up and goes beyond the call of duty. Who is the someone in your fellowship and what do they do? What do you do for them?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It often seems like 80% of church members are named Someone Else. :-(

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I am that someone else in the family, I don't mind glad to be able to help,
Years ago in one place I lived my late husband was like a "Cab " driver to the neighbourhood....he didn't mind but after he passed away I was not well yet not one of the people he helped came my way.
I had friends who lived miles from my neighbours who came but I felt hurt for him as he gave much spare time to help someone who needed help.

Yvonne,

Eddie Eddings said...

At first I thought you were talking about ME...then, I realized you were talking about Someone Else...whew! That was a close one.

Brad said...

Not to worry, Someone Else's cousin will pick up the slack. What was his name again? Oh, right: No One Else.

J Curtis said...

I'm now starting to volunteer, beginning this month, at my local church for cleaning duties.

I'm a mere bump on a log. If I can do it, so can you.

kc bob said...

Cute story. Anyone Else is sure to fill the shoes of their father Someone.

Gregg Metcalf said...

OG - Ain't that the truth? What a shame!

Yvonne - It is hard being somebody else. I am so sorry that those whom your husband helped didn't respond in kind. Human nature isn't all that its cracked up to be.

Eddie Eddings - No, you are off the hook. This was not your obit notice, especially on your birthday. Happy birthday dude! But tomorrow it ain't your birthday so get busy serving.

Brad - there seems to be a lot of No One Else on the church rolls today. Where did they all come from?

JD Curtis - glad this wasn't your obit notice. You are the guy! Your church will be blessed by your service.

KB - it has been awhile since I have seen Someone. They are on the gone missing list.

Lisa said...

I need to get myself in gear and be that SOMEONE ELSE that volunteers at church. Thanks for the reminder!

RaD said...

I've already read this and loved it the first time. If only others would step up the churches could be so much more productive.