Friday, April 2, 2010

B is for the Beauty of the LORD



Beauty

King David wrote in Psalms 27:4: “One thing have I asked of the LORD, that I will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple.”

David spoke of the beauty of the LORD. What did he mean? What are we to understand in regards to this thought provoking word?

In all of God’s attributes contained within His nature or His character it is demonstrated that God lacks nothing that would make Him desirable. David speaks of the totality or the sum of all of God’s attributes as combined together. David uses this as a very positive means to demonstrate that God possess all qualities that would render Him desirable to anyone.

David expresses this concept in another manner when he asks the question in Psalms 73:25: “Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing upon earth that I desire besides you.” David makes it clear that his desire for God, who possesses all things that make Him desirable, is far greater than any other desires.

You and I as children of God reflect this beauty of God when we conduct our daily lives in accordance with His character and nature. Peter made this point very clear when he wrote to the persecuted believers in Asia when he commanded them to live in such a way, even under persecution, that the pagan would see the character, or the beauty of God in their lives and as a result would desire God. Our lives should reflect the attributes of God in our daily living, even in the midst of trials, tribulations, or testings. It is our righteous living that makes God beautiful, desirable, and attractive to those around us.

For the record there is no excuse not to. No one is left out of this opportunity; we have been given everything we need to live godly lives. (Romans 8:32)

Our challenge is that when we become so enamored with the “beauty” of this world we fail to see the beauty of God. As a result we have no desire for God. Most “believers” and certainly all of the pagans never see the wonderful and beautiful character of God. What a pity that we do not desire the one character or nature that is the sum total of absolute perfection.

What about you? Do you see the beauty of the Lord? Is He all that you desire? Let me leave you with this thought from Anne R. Cousin’s last verse of her hymn, “The Sands of Time are Sinking.”

The bride eyes not her garment,
but her dear bridegroom’s face.
I will not gaze at glory,
but on my King of grace;
Not at the crown he giveth,
but on his pierced hand:
The Lamb is all the glory
of Emmanuel's land.

9 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A most wonderfully written "B" blog. It is good to have so much faith and pracice it.
Have a good day.

Yvonne.

Anonymous said...

EASTER GREETINGS FROM THE OLD GEEZER

I PRAY YOU AND YOUR FAMILY WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY CELEBRATING RESURRECTION SUNDAY.

HE IS RISEN!

GOD BLESS YOU, RON

Survivormama said...

AWESOME GREGG, OUR GOD IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND ALL THAT I NEED. BLESSINGS TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!

Unknown said...

Stopping by from the A to Z challenge and always so thrilled to meet other Christians in the blogging world!

I believe I am getting better at seeking His beauty before the 'treasures' of this world. They just don't compare and this very morning I thanked my Heavenly Father for His gift of salvation, that I can be in this world but not of it!

Blessings to you and I look forward to your C to Z posts!

Angels Muse said...

Wonderful message. Great reminder of where we need to focus. When we see the beauty of God in the beauty he has created for us, we truly behold the heaven that is waiting for us.

Arlee Bird said...

It is unfortunate that many people and institutions claiming to be Christian have distracted non-believer with an ugliness that has given God a negative reputation. But when all focus is placed upon God with reverence, adoration, and awe, God's beauty is beyond all human understanding and more than any words could ever adequately express.
Beauty was an excellent topic for today.
Lee

Lisa said...

Great post Gregg. It really got me thinking. I do realize that He is ALL I will ever need and I do desire His beauty in my life so that others can see.

Have a blessed Easter with your family.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Great post Gregg. It got me thinking how beautiful God is. Have a blessed Easter.

RCUBEs said...

David, was able to see that beauty because his heart was the one who saw that and he just sought the Lord in everything that he did. Yes, it's sad when some don't give Him a chance, don't take some time to get to really know Him. Because if they do, they will surely be awed by His beauty! Great "B" post. Blessings.