Thursday, September 24, 2009

Eat, Drink, and be Merry?

This post is in response to Eddie Eddings last comment:
I couldn't agree with you more. Normally I don't mess around with anything Hybel's or Willow Creek does but when I read that article I was angry, broken hearted, amazed, and flabbergasted. Instead of commenting on it I decided to reproduce it and let it be its own comment. Spiritual growth can't be put on hold - you are either moving forward or backwards, there is no "holding zone."
Here is the fatal danger in designing a ministry around "what people want." Apart from the moving and working of Christ in our lives we don't want to be accountable, responsible, or expend the energy necessary to die daily in order to conquer sin.
No more bloated air conditioning bills for a room that’s only half full,” he said, eyes gleaming. “All that money being saved for God’s kingdom and not being wasted on a scant congregation that would rather be on vacation anyway. It’s a beautiful thing.”
I wonder what those who are part of the "scant congregation" are thinking? Gee, I am not worthy of the dollars it takes to keep the doors open for a service that is to be designed for the worship and glory of God?
What happened to, "I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD!” (Psalms 122:1, ESV)

2 comments:

JC said...

Actually, I don't think makes the statement you think it does, unless you are using it as an example about what happens when you don't understand the context of the story (fiction) or know the validity of the source.

If you are going to copy the article from "The Holy Observer," you should probably include
their disclaimer as well?
http://www.holyobserver.com/disclaimer/

Gregg Metcalf said...

I appreciate your comment. I am not familiar with the mag and I didn't realize. Apparently I have been duped. I was surfing, read the article and was flabbergasted. This appears to be a case where I wasn't careful enough.